Saturday, January 16, 2010

Going to the Dog Wash

Have you ever tried to blow dry a dog? They don't like it...

Usually when my K9 side kick becomes filthy, I just get into my swimmers and we both hop in the shower. She really hates it, but I find I stay drier if I don't try to stay dry. That being said, I thought I would save myself the hassle of picking all her hair out of my drain, and take her to the "Dog Wash" down the street.

Kija hates baths at the best of times, and usually I just wash her, towel dry her and let her go so she can sulk in her bed and give me dirty looks. Perhaps not the best approach, but it's a system. This time I took her to work with me, and stopped in afterward to give her a scrub. There was the usual pulling against her collar, the passive defiance, the pitifully hard done by looks, but after much effort, she was clean. Sopping wet, but clean. Now I love my dog, but I love my truck too. There was no way she was getting into my nice clean truck with out being dry. There's a reason they don't sell wet dog scented air fresheners.

I towelled her off, and put her up on the grooming stand. I clipped her collar to the tie, and turned on the dryer. WOW! Holy not having any of that Batman! She twisted, and squirmed, and pulled, and scratched, and gave the most pathetic puppy eyes in history. There was fur everywhere, I got soaked, and she refused to even look at me for a couple of hours. Seriously, when she rides in the truck with me, she puts her head on my arm rest and gives snuggles and licks. She got into the truck and promptly turned her butt to me and refused to eat the cookie I bought her.

She wouldn't even look in my direction. I tried to pat her, and she jammed her head down between the seat and the door. I realize collie's are very sensitive (I've had collies all my life) but when they decide to pout, I mean really pout, they could put a spoiled 3 year old to shame. She could have taught advanced classes at the Ukrainian Babba's School of Guilt Trips.

She'll get over it, but not anytime soon. Maybe in a week or so.

No comments: