Friday, February 14, 2014

And then there were 2

When I took this "new" job almost a year ago... wow 10 months, can it have been so long already? ... I was placed into the prime division of southern Alberta. There were 3 of us. Myself, our direct supervisor Larysia, and my co-hire Megan. We were hired as temps and were guaranteed work until September of last year. That is when we became Lary's Angels.. but that's another story. By Fate, Royal Cockup, or Design, Megan and I have made it this far. Since September, Megan and I have been getting the monthly (sometimes weekly) updates as to how long we can expect to be guaranteed work. It was a little stressful, but we knew what we were in for when we took the job. We worked hard and have set the record for the longest running temps in our department... A record that I am planning on setting so high it will stand for a long long time. As we are revving up for the "dig" season again, and there are all the new hires being screened for interviews, we have been granted another option to stay... guaranteed work till September. Two dig seasons back to back with out the winter (slow season) lay off... Not the norm by any account, and that should be very hard to beat. Sadly, Megan has accepted another job. Her last day was today and we had our traditional send off for the temps, which I have come to learn is a bit of a ritual. The department manager bought treats (today it was breakfast sandwitches and hashbrowns), we ate together around the meeting table, and then Megan was presented with her card signed by everyone in the office. One filled with well wishes for the future and sentiments of regret that she will no longer be with us. The usual good spirited teasing followed... everything from threats to hide her vehicle keys to gluing her to her chair. But she finished her day, did her farewell hugs, and has moved onto her new opportunities. So now team south is a little worse for it, but we are still 2 strong... for now at least. Larysia is getting a promotion and will be moving into another department in the beginning of March. I have been given an in department "promotion" of sorts. My title is "Prime for Account Audits for ELC". Not bad for a temp. I have also been given the green light to sit in on the interviews of the new hires, with the intention of participating as part of the hiring team. Obviously the department manager will have final say, but I am very excited to have been able to participate. There are a lot of people who are permanent staff with much more seniority who have shown interest. The fact that our manager has chosen to split up the interviews between us (so as to include me) is something I am both excited and proud of myself for. Today I can say, I done good. I'm still up to my eyeballs in account audits, and chained to my computer... anyone who knows me is cringing right now... but these experiences are good for me, and I'm seeing doors open. There is a lot of possibilities and opportunities here, and even though I'm going to be the last Angel standing very soon, I'm proud of my co workers for the things they have achieved and excited for them. We had a great year together, I have some valuable new friends, and I'm improving - learning - and growing in a job that I really do like.

No comments: