Friday, March 7, 2014

Things Undone

I'm one of those people who like to do many things... Apparently I get bored easily. Vast diversity of interests, or just enthralled by shiny objects. Only the Shadow knows.... mwahahaha. Okay maybe someone should keep me from blogging when I have a migraine. My point, and yes there is one, is that I've always wanted to write. I enjoy writing short stories, poetry, pretty much anything. I'm so stupidly busy however, that I have to be very decisive as to what my priorities are for allotting time. This particular interest has resurrected itself thanks to some of my co workers/friends. Well former co workers as they are now stationed out of the tower, and I'm still by the airport. Anyway, one of my friends wants to be a professional author. She works tirelessly on her book and is always researching how to get published, listening to seminars on getting into the industry, and making contacts with other authors and agents. Couple that with (in my opinion) her talent, and I have no doubts that one day I'll be buying her work. The other is less focused on becoming a professional author, but he is still very committed to his creative process. All told, being around them has reignited my interest. Last month they both entered a contest on the internet from a publishing house. I don't have the details of the contest, but what I do know is that they had to create a short story with a maximum of 750 words and it had to begin with a certain phrase. Sounds easy enough right? Let me assure you, it is far more challenging than it sounds. They both worked hard on their stories, and had me do a proof read for them (which I thought was fun) and sent them off. The other day, I was cleaning out my email and came across their stories. I thought to myself... Self, that could be fun. So I took a bash at it. Sure enough it was fun. I sent my story to them and they both enjoyed the read. I sent it to my sister, and she texted me to tell me I made her cry. She then sent it to her husband and he said more or less the same thing. (It was a happy story, but with a sad ending). My sister and brother in law both encouraged me to keep writing. Please filter that with the fact that they actually like me. Many years ago, I started a novel... but who hasn't right? And due to it not being a high enough priority, it stagnated. I've been thinking about it a lot, and of the dedication that my friends have displayed. They practice mastery in their chosen venue. I am proud of them, but more importantly I am inspired by them. Maybe it's finally time to start revisiting this interest. Something to think about.

No comments: