Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Remembering Travis Panasiuk

Travis Panasiuk was a very special student. There are very few people I allow to get close to me. To allow them to see the person behind the instructor. Travis snuck into my heart when I wasn’t looking. That is something he was famous for. He was such a gentle spirit. He had an easy nature, and a warmth that radiated for all to feel.

He was an inspiration to everyone he came into contact with. Everyone found friendship in his very being. Regardless of age, Travis made the person he spoke with feel listened to, understood, and most of all special. He gave of himself freely and asked nothing in return. He would often seem surprised that he was thought so highly of by others. Travis was truly humble, and in that humility was his beauty. Like all people, he wanted to be appreciated and loved, but unlike most people, he did nothing to actively draw attention to himself to receive that much desired attention. Instead he simply was, and in so being, was truly miraculous. He lived that which he wanted the world to be. He lead by example, quietly, and that was his power.

It was hard not to notice Travis. Though soft spoken, he allowed his actions to speak for him, and that was heard by all who knew him, and even those who didn’t. Every instructor hopes for a student like Travis. One who has the passion for what he was learning, regardless of the lesson. A student who never gave up in the face of failure. A person who embraces the ideals of bettering themselves and in so doing, betters the world around him. A student by their presence alone inspires others to become better people. As an instructor of 17 years, I strive to have the impact on others that this young man had on everyone around him, including me.

It was hard not to think of Travis as a little brother. I felt very protective of him, and hoped with all my heart that the goals he set for himself would be realized. That the world would return the kindness and beauty he showed it. I miss him and hurt every time I realize I will never again see him walk through the door, black hat, warm smile and all. Travis has changed our school, he will always have a home here, and in the hearts of those who knew him. I miss him, now and always.

Find peace Travis, and know you made a difference.

Sifu Lisa Freitag

No comments: