Monday, October 6, 2008

Test of Character

This past weekend I took a very intense seminar. I left from the school after classes Thursday night, picked up groceries and dinner, and made the drive to the course location. I arrived around 2330 hr, checked into my hotel, and tried to get some sleep. Friday we were in class from 0830 hr. to 2230 hr. Saturday from 0830 hr. to 2130 hr. and last night from 0830 hr. to 1930 hr. 36 hr. of learning, doing, and intense mental and physical concentration, followed by a 2 hour drive home last night. It was a hard experience, but a very good one.

I bring this up, because when people are tired, induced into stress, and among strangers you tend to see the truer colours of the person. This is not always their best light, but is an assessment to the strength of their character.

I only had met 2 of the 6 people on my course previously. One I know on a casual basis, and the other have met once before. But still, we were all more or less strangers. Over the last 3 days eating, learning, working, and bonding with these people, I have the privilege to say that these strangers are now new friends.

We pulled together in a very short time and worked together to achieve a common goal. We cheered each other on, and pulled each other along when the long days threatened to over take us. It was a very positive experience. Our instructor kept us moving as quickly as he could, and we kept each other motivated with humor, positive reinforcement, and just a touch of lunacy.

I look forward to seeing these people in the future and plan to stay in contact with them. This situation could have been vastly different had we not all been positive people who were excited about what we were doing, willing to make the sacrifices required, and open to and supportive of each other. In my opinion, these people have strong characters, and I'm glad to know them.

Blue ones guys!

2 comments:

Khona said...

So, you got your certification?

Sifu Freitag said...

yup! and a coaching contact in on saturday. this rocks!