Monday, November 10, 2008

Lest We Forget

Tomorrow is Remembrance Day. A day set aside to honor all of the people who died for us and our way of life. A day to honor those who have sacrificed, and those who continue to do so.

What does this really mean? I guarantee most people stop at 11 am and give the moment of silence. But what are they thinking? Are they watching the clock, wondering when the minute will be over? Are they doing a check list of things to do that day? Are they silently humming a song in their head? Are they zoned out and thinking of nothing at all?

What does Remembrance Day mean to you?

It has always been a somber day of reflection for me. I have known many people who have and have not survived wars. Relatives and family friends who fought, lived, died... were forever altered by the ravages of war. I have remembered, I have been thankful, I have run the names in my mind.... and then I have seen the sunrise of the 12th, only to have forgotten, moved on, failed to be mindful. Every now and again we remember, but mostly we wear our poppies and consider ourselves to have shown honor.

Someone I knew, respect, and care for a great deal died last year in Afghanistan. He taught me many things in his life, as he lived what he believed. He died for those beliefs as they took him into a war, knowing that it might be his final act. Not wanting to die, but understanding that it was a very real possibility. One that sadly came true.

In his death, however, he made me realize that we forget. One day a year dedicated to remembering nameless numbers. Ones we understand are men and women, but that is all. An abstract realization. We do not see the families who grieve, save a glimmer on the news, and then it is gone from our minds.

I have thought about my friend everyday since he left for Afghanistan, and every day since he died there. I have cried for him, his family, our friends, and for myself. For every number, there is a person who was loved and will never be forgotten. A family that is no longer whole.

Will they truly be remembered, or will we simply say "Lest We Forget", and move on?

They will be remembered by me, everyday, with respect, honor, and pride. Their families, their friends, all those that loved them and I will not forget. Not again.

To all of our fallen, and their loved ones...

I Remember

No comments: