Monday, December 8, 2008

Guardian Angles

Every one has their own belief systems. Some one thing, others something else. Religious beliefs are as diverse as the cultures that have them.

I am not a religious person, though I am spiritual. And I've had plenty of close calls in the past. Saturday night was no exception.

I was on my way home from a Christmas Party. I had been given offers of couches and spare rooms for the night, but I'm a funny duck and like to be in my own bed.... go figure. The night was a lot of fun, and I'm not a drinker, so driving home was no big deal. The highway was good in spite of the melting snow and freezing rain all day, and I was looking forward to a hot shower. I turned onto the road home and slowed down quite a bit below the posted limit. It hadn't been cleared yet, I was airing on the side of caution.

Half way up the big hill, I hit ice. The back end of my truck swung around and up the hill sideways covering both lanes of traffic I went. I turned into the skid and hit the clutch to cut the drive train, but I wasn't losing any speed. I was calm, yet convinced that I was going to go through the guard rail and roll my truck down the hill into the slew. I remember thinking "awh @#$%, I'm dead... well it was fun while it lasted".

I must have let my foot off the clutch, because suddenly I shot forward just enough that I took the guard rail on the back quarter of the truck. My next thoughts were "OH NO!!! My brand new truck! The fender is going to be totaled" I wanted to cry, but still hadn't regained control. I skidded back over to my lane, (and the steep ditch on that side) managing to get everything straightened out.

Finally I had control back, facing the correct direction. I kept going even slower than before and thanked anyone listening I was okay. I was, however, devastated that I had nailed my baby into the rail. When I got home, I took a deep breath and looked at the back end expecting bent metal and scratched red paint.

Nothing, not a mark. I couldn't believe it! I had taken the impact on the tire itself. Save for some rubbing on the side wall of the tire, my truck was completely untouched. I was shocked. I nearly snuffed myself and came out of it with nothing but an adrenaline dump.

Lucky? Try Blessed.

So thanks again GA for having my back! Hopefully the list of ones I owe you doesn't get too much longer. You deserve a raise.

2 comments:

Khona said...

No more, okay? You've had your fair share of close calls. No more, please?
Luv you!!

Sifu Freitag said...

luv you too! and like i said, my guardian angle deserves a raise.... but yes i promise to play nice ;)