Monday, June 15, 2009

Sharing my toys

Apparently I'm a little territorial.... okay, so I'm a LOT territorial. Here's the poop.

I was helping teach my first SSI class yesterday, and it was all good. I had a blast working with my supervisor, and was learning as much as I was teaching. Believe it or not, I was nervous, and in true nervous style, was over explaining just a touch. Go figure. But that is another story.

We had 4 students. One of which was crapping kittens every 2 seconds as he was coming to the realization he would shortly be climbing out on the wing strut of a plane traveling 80 miles an hour, 3500 feet off the ground.
After the climb out, he would be hanging from said strut and then letting go. All because his roommate talked him into it.

We spent several hours with our four students, teaching them (literally) life saving skills and getting to know them. Working with them to prepare them for their first experience in our sport, and helping them to get over their fears. Encouraging them, ensuring learning has been achieved, testing them, and reviewing physical skills. It was a long day for all of us, and we were all getting a bit tired. They were a bit disappointed that I was not going to be their JM for their first jump, as was I. I found out later just how disappointed I was to be.

Their JM was a very good person, though she can be a bit pushy, and has no concept of stepping on other's toes. I don't think she means to do it, she just doesn't realize that there are others with equal and far greater skills to her own, and she feel the need to assert herself. She came into our class (keep in mind my supervisor has a ton more experience than either myself or the JM) and began offering opinions as to how the class should be taught, and the length of time it was taking. She is not an SSI, and only has the C1 and JM training. Vastly different animals.

So my supervisor handed the class to me and had me administer the quiz while she and the JM stepped outside. When my supervisor returned she filled me in on the situation. She was even less impressed with the situation than I was, and pulled no punches when expressing it. Kinda felt a little bad for the JM, though nothing that was said was inaccurate or undeserved.

Later on, I was walking our students out to hand them over to the JM. Man was that hard. I hung around to help them gear up. I was getting frustrated with the situation, as things were being done slightly different than I would have, and lets face it, theses are MY guys. But I kept my mouth shut and attitude in check. The last thing our students needed was a cat fight between the instructors. Especially the nervous one. I knew my place, I had handed over the students. I just couldn't seem to let go.

I was all maternal, and looking for an excuse to get into the plane with them. First class nut! but I managed to back off. I watched them come down and asked them how it went, then asked the JM how they did. I felt better when they were all back safe and was very pleased that they hung around after their jumps and got familiar with the DZ and it's people. I really hope to see them again in the future.

I guess my lesson for the weekend is that I need to work on my ability to relinquish control. Everyone has their own style, and I'm not always going to agree with it. But I do have to trust them and let them take my guys to the next step. I just don't have to like it.

1 comment:

Darnell McKinley said...

I should let my husband read your blog.. getting him to relinquish control of the direction we are driving to the GPS, which by the way is correct way more often then he is has, been a challenge. I wonder if it's because it's the voice of a woman telling him were to go!
Sifu McKinley