Monday, July 12, 2010

A Thought, Perhaps a Memory


I had a really special Sunday. It was unique in it's simplicity. When I saw my mates last weekend, well the welcome was amazing. Amy hugged the stuffing out of me, and I'm surprised she let go. I missed that girl.

This Sunday was more of the same. My mates that weren't around last weekend hugged the stuffing out of me this weekend. It was great, but the simplest welcome came from someone I respect and love with all my heart and it meant the most to me. Lyal simply said, "It's good to have you back girl." I missed him tons, and getting to fly with him again was so much fun. Viva sunset load.

I taught the First Jump Course the last couple of weekends. One of my students Sunday ran up to me after her jump and threw her arms around me. She thanked me and said she couldn't wait to continue her training in the sky. Passion for the sport is easy to kindle, and it burns with a strength like almost no other. Magic.

While in New Zealand, Tina and I met a wayward Canadian at the drop zone in Christchurch. We just happened to be jumping the same weekend at the same place. Small world. While there, we chatted about home DZ's and he mentioned that he was coming back to Canada and was looking to relocate for the summer. He mentioned that he had been in contact with Lyal when he found out we were from Eden. We assumed that he had already decided to call Eden his home. We miss understood. Apparently talking to us and listening to the passion and love we have for our DZ made up his mind. We had no idea. I showed up and Ray said to me "So I hear we have you to thank for Greg coming here." I'm like "Whaaat? No, he was planning to come here, we just bumped into him on the tramp." I was wrong. Turns out, Tina and I made an impression on him. One he chose to trust and follow to our home, 2 months ahead of us. Not knowing anyone and willing to walk into complete strangers because we happened to meet.

He has joined my family at Eden and an idea has become reality, will become a memory. He also had a huge smile and hug for Tina and I when we finally ran into each other yesterday. He's such a great kid.

Humans are creatures of habit. We have limitless creativity, yet it's rarely acted upon. We aspire to be like those who take thought and turn it into memory. Those who act on their passion, belief, imagination. When they seek out others like themselves, they create a community stronger than the bonds of most families. These people are family to me. I have, and willingly continue to, literally put my life in their hands. I have no doubts that it is safe and that my happiness and well being is in their minds.

We take our thoughts, turn them into reality, and they become wonderful memories. Ones I cherish.

No comments: