Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A Valley of Mist and Shadow




I was driving home last night, and it was beautiful. Funny, somehow that word seems insufficient. It was shortly after 22:00hrs, and the sun was finally beginning to reach the horizon. Canadian twilight lingers for hours. That's not an over statement. It began to drop around 20:30 and finally set by 22:30. Something unique to northern countries. Something I had began to forget living in the south. Sun set in the US, Austrail Asia, and most of Europe is lightning fast compared to Canada. In Australia the sun would begin to set at 17:00. By 17:30 it was pitch black.

But I digress. I was driving home last night (I live in rural Alberta) through the rolling hills lush and green from all the rain. The humidity has been very high for this part of the country (southern Alberta is a semi desert) and the mist was rising off the fields, ponds, and creeks. From the top of hills, it was a shrouded valley floor with mounds of emerald breaking it's grey blanket. The clouds were a flame with the reds, blues, and purples that sun set brings, and it framed the landscape with an etherial contrast. Light and dark stretching out, enveloping the land, creating a flow of colour on the brink of losing definition.

I found myself thinking (as I did many times in my travels) that this place is beautiful in it's own right. Sometimes you need to look away to see what's around you.

No comments: