Friday, January 30, 2009

Forgive?

So this may not be the best time to blog, seeing as I'm ticked off at a friend. Yet emotion can breed truth and expression of said truth. Not that I'm capable of hiding my feelings. I'm an "in your grill" kinda person.

What am I ticked off about? Well that's really not anyone's business save mine and the person facing my tantrum. I do bring it up for a reason besides behaving childishly and publicly announcing my ire.

For those who have not met me, I have a wicked bad temper. For those who have met me, you are probably thinking "Holy Understatement Batman!"

The point, and yes there is one, is that one has to understand their weaknesses, short comings, or dare I say faults, before one can fix them. Self improvement is the name of the game here people, and the only way to do that is look in the mirror, scrape off the protective rhetoric, and say "Mornin' Sunshine, you dysfunctional mess!"

There are two sides to every conflict. That is two participants, be they armies battle bound by oath and duty, or children squabbling over a toy. Both people are responsible for their actions. Both need to look inside themselves and realize that conflict can be resolved, and that with cooler heads, can be avoided.

So this brings me back to my rather charming personality resembling an irritated Siamese Cat coupled with the tact of a D8 bulldozer (and those are my good qualities). I could have helped to avoid conflict with my friend by not allowing my temper get raised. I have plenty of self control, all of the tools for conflict resolution, and enough experience to know that allowing myself to get upset is really not helping anything.

But the conflict hurt my feelings (yes I do have them) and I reacted emotionally. I didn't use the tools I have for dealing with conflict. I actually feel quite sheepish that I allowed myself to handle things in a less positive way.

So learn from my mistakes and try not to make them again. Dragons are known for being quick to anger, but we are even quicker to forgive. Maybe it makes up for something. Maybe it just gives me something else to work on.

1 comment:

linda shipalesky said...

Sifu you have a wicked sense of humor. I want to say without it sounding negative your journaling is getting better each week. You are really shining through now. Very refreshing!
Linda