Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Something in the works

Once again I find myself with nothing to say, yet here I am at the keyboard typing away. I read Sifu Shipalesky's blog in reference to our student who offered her running shoes to an elderly lady, and remember that student telling me that same story. She had real doubts as to how to approach the situation, not wanting to offend the lady in question, yet she followed through with what her gut told her. Have to say the phrase "I'm proud" just doesn't cover it.

We have always been a strong group of people, yet we have allowed ourselves to back down to doubt and social correctness. In that, I mean that we refrain from following our hearts to keep from potentially embarrassing someone else. Yet the leadership and the wisdom we have only makes us and our community stronger. A hard balance to maintain. I am glad to say that the requirements of the UBBT has given us the resolve to trust our judgement and deal with the potential consequences as they arise, instead of allowing the moment to pass us by. It's very refreshing.

In fact, this post saved my day. I was feeling rather down, and being reminded of our student's generosity and the pride Sifu Shipalesky has in her made me feel much better.

I was on the phone today with one of my best friends. He and I text almost everyday and talk on the phone a couple times a week. (very unusual for me, I'm anti social at the best of times) He was feeling discouraged with his job situation (economy in the toilet and all). We talked for a long time about his situation and then it was my turn to unload.

I joked about getting a skilled worker immigration document and taking off to Australia, something I have always wanted to do. But a joke is all it is. My life is very much grounded here. To my surprise, he told me to go for it. I kinda laughed it off, but it was still in the back of my brain. Like I said, was having an off day and the thought of packing up and taking off was appealing.

When you are feeling sorry for yourself and assuming you don't make a difference in the big picture, it's easy to justify those types of fantasies. Drop your responsibilities and take off. Not something I would do, but nice to think about.

Then I read Sifu's post and realized that something small, but personally challenging can make all the difference. Just walking with someone and listening to them. A very precious gift, yet so easily given. All it takes is the guts to walk up to a person and make that bridge. Like I said proud doesn't cover it.

Thanks for the reminder and the cheer up guys. I won't book my flight just yet, lol.

No comments: