Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Thank you for Believing

Last night I worked my advanced class pretty hard. I had them do their fitness test, and as usual, I had my "there's no whining in kung fu" attitude going. Yah I know, I'm a jerk.

They performed wonderfully, and I am very proud of each and everyone. They all stepped up and completed the task. Those finished first gave enthusiastic encouragement to those still struggling to finish. Truly a shining moment.

As I was striping them, one student said to me, kinda under his breath " Thanks for believing in me" I didn't really catch it at the time, and I mumbled something to the extent that all I expect is for them to try.

After he had already left, I realized what he said. Thank you for believing in me. What an incredible thing to say. What an outstanding compliment he gave me. What a vulnerable place to put himself in. Thank you for believing in me. I am truly honored.

Think about this for a minute. Someone has basically said that my belief in them is important to them. That it makes a difference. For what ever reason or how ever much it matters, my belief in them changes their situation for the better, and helps them achieve their goals.

What other goal could I have or achieve that is more fulfilling than the one I over looked last night. Something simple and quiet, yet powerful and inspiring. I feel bad for not paying closer attention for what was said at the time, but I am very happy I didn't lose it completely.

So know that all of you also make a difference and I am grateful that you believe in me.

Thank you

1 comment:

Darnell McKinley said...

It's amazing how one can affect another! I love this post, as it has re-affirmed my belief that the seemingly small things people say and do, do make an impact in the lives of others!

Thanks for sharing,
Darnell