Saturday, November 28, 2009

Faces in the Mirror


Empathy is something that most people are oblivious to. I've been meaning to write this particular blog for quite some time, but have not done so thus far.

It has to do with reflections of UBBT6, with empathy, with acts of kindness, and most of all how we view our work and those in it.

Many people, myself included, have been mentioning how awareness and mindfulness have increased this last year. Something I have noticed is as people, we classify others as disposable humans. The person who pumps your gas, the server that brings your meal, the custodian who cleans up after us. When was the last time you spoke with someone in a "lesser" profession, much less looked them in the eye and said "Thank You" and actually meant it?

The most common one I've picked up on is the serving staff. They bring your meal, ask how things are, and clean up after you. How many of you could tell what colour their hair is? What their name is? If they smiled when you spoke with them? How many of us just say thank you with out looking up or breaking stride in our conversation? How many of us just ignore them completely? How does it become okay for our society to treat a person with a complete lack of respect and total indifference simply because of their job? Do we know if this person is putting themselves through med school, or supporting a single income family? Do we care?

How many of us are annoyed by the constant attention, and then further annoyed when we finally get rid of the server only to need something and they aren't around? I've had service based jobs before, and people can be major jerks. Looking down on you, or not even noticing you at all. I'm not really sure which is worse. I do know how we treat others is a reflection of ourselves. Are we worthy of more respect just because we are the one being served? I think not.

Personally, I try to look someone in the eye and say a real thank you every time. I try to be mindful of the fact that manors out of habit are not really manors. They are a reaction like catching a ball at the last second before it cranks you one in the head. Something you have trained yourself to do with out thought or focus. It's not really polite, just habit, but better than nothing in a sense.

I tip the kid who pumps gas for me at the station. Sure he's getting paid to do it, but lets face it, when it's -40 and I don't have to get out of my toasty warm truck to refuel, the least I can do is buy him a coffee.

So mindfulness and keeping empathy awareness paramount in our minds has been something UBBT has given to us. If we were mindful before, we have gained the skill of becoming more so. If not, we have learned a new and valuable social skill. Something to think about.

No comments: