Monday, March 29, 2010

New Zealand, North Island

I'm back in New Zealand for a couple of weeks. My friend Tina is living on the south island while she is going to school. I'm currently on the north island for 2 days (or what's left of them). We are going on a road trip around the south island starting on April 1... no fooling (hahahahahaha)

This morning I did the skyjump, www.skyjump.co.nz , and got a second jump free because they weren't busy. So I was thinking that was a pretty good deal. I was going to head to the zoo and maybe to the beach and do some surfing or perhaps go kayaking again. Hasn't really worked out yet. Tomorrow I'm going to go on a quading expedition and then to the zoo in the afternoon.

I have to be back at the airport for 2:30 to make my flight to the south island. Meh, it's all good. Figure I'll rent a car and figure it out. The "Explorer Bus" is $35 for the whole day pass, but a car is just as cheap and I wouldn't be bound to the schedule of others. So I'll go that way.

I've been trying to keep the slang straight so I could blog about it, but I'm getting so used to it, it's hard to remember what's here and what's home. Meh, here goes.

Thongs (Australia)- also know as Jandals(New Zealand) and Flip Flops
Cuppa - Tea/coffee... very important not to get between someone and afore mentioned beverage in the morning
Roos - kangaroo, known as a pest but cute and soft. I got to hand feed one at the Alma Park Zoo (and cuddle a Koala)
Possum - these are very different to the ones you find in north america. They are actually cute and very soft and fluffy. There is on that lives at the DZ in Toogoolawah with it's baby. Apparently they love apples, and come right up to the table if they think they can sneak one. Also known as a pest.
Caravan - A camper or fifth wheel trailer.

My mom tells me that I'm picking up an accent. The locals used to tell me I have an accent, but not as much anymore. One person thought I was local. I don't hear it, but apparently I'm picking up the Aussie. More so around the fire in the evening, or when I'm talking one on one. I still here all the normal chatter of the place and then my own voice is like the braying of a mule. Startling to hear something so different than what you are surrounded by.

Well that's it for now, I'm starting to get hungry, so I'll go pick up some take away. Maybe I'll eat in. I'm sure I'll find something if I tramp about long enough. Cheers

Lisa Freitag
Aukland, New Zealand, North Island.

No comments: