Friday, March 12, 2010

To Sleep, Perchance to Dream

Here I am in an internet cafe in Ipswich (just outside Brisbane). I'm waiting for my bus to Toogoolawah which leaves at 17:10 hrs. It's currently 12:13 hrs. I've been in town since just after 10:00 hrs. There is about a 3.5 hour change from here to Dunedin, so once again I'm dealing with getting my system fooled into not being hungary, sleepy, and just plain confused.

I can't even begin to describe the feelings I had when we flew in over the coast and I caught my first glimps of the mainland. As if for the first time I was truly home. I was in a place my soul screams to be, and the sudden peace of arriving was almost overwhelming. I admit I fought back the tears.

As long as I can remember I have dreamed of being in Australia, visiting Uluru, surfing the Great Barrier Reef, and exploring the outback. Though until today I have never set foot on this contenent, I have always had a very deep connection, desire to be here. I have studdied this place of wonders my whole life; a place unique in every way. Animals that exist no where else in creation call this place home. It is a harsh land and a demanding mistress, but the beauty that survives her expectations are truly remarkable. I am in awe.

I can't explain it any better than that, so I will move onto something I can.

I took the train from the airport in Brisbane, and as mentioned before am waiting for the bus. Just killing time really. Couple of neat things and points of reference from here to there as I'll probably be using the Aussie/Kiwi terminology right quick.

Tramping - this is our term for walking or short day hiking. tramping about town is like going for a walk to get groceries, liesure, what ever

Hiking - this is used only for multiple day hiking excursions that include sleeping in tents and such (the west coast trail is a perfect example of hiking) Hard core outdoors types hike. Everyone else tramps.

The Chemest's - This is a pharmacy. (Australia) New Zealand uses pharmacy also.

Judder Stripps - theses are speed bumps

Jandals - we call them flip flops, however in New Zealand they are known as Japaniese Sandals and there fore Jandals

Sneans - Sneakers worn with Jeans... also a major fashion no no. So I'm not in style... there are worse things.

Cheers - very universal, most often used for thank you and good bye.

Way out - obviously exit and on the signs

Give way - again means yeald, and is on the street signs.

I guess that's it for now. Tonight I'll get to Toogoolawah, tramp out to the Drop Zone, and get settled into the bunk house. I'll figure out something more perminant living wise as the week progresses, but for $10 a night, I might just live out there. The bus is a bit of a round about, but it's transport and I'll figure it out as I go. I'll have to use it even if I'm right in town to get to the beach and of course to the DZ.

meh no worries.

Lisa Freitag

Silent River Kung Fu, Ipswich/Toogoolawah, North Queens Land, Australia.

(booh yah!)

No comments: