Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Rock

Ning seems to be taking a nap and I can't log onto it for love nor money... stupid computers! Who's idea was that anyway?

Moving on... I have arrived at Uluru and have to say that I am very disappointed and offended with the culture here. I don't really know what I was expecting... I'm staying at a resort... I should have been ready for the dredges of humanity to rear it's ugly head. This has to be one of the most expensive places I've ever been to. The food and trinkets are extremely over priced (even by tourist town standards), food is insane, and as an example Corona is over $10/unit. You can bet your behind I'm not going to pay that for something to drink even if I was so inclined! Not to mention that every one seems interested only in their own desires and have no concern for the environment, other people, or anything else for that matter.

The Rock is Impressive. It's a 3 hour hike around the base of it.. average 4 miles an hour walking speed and it's about 12miles around. The Valley of the Wind hike is also a good 3 hours and is rated difficult.. I'll be challenging that tomorrow. Major thunderstorms have kept me indoors this afternoon and this evening. I did make sunrise on the rock this morning and did some hiking in the gorges and around the park.

Only to have it reaffirmed that you can't let people out unsupervised. Signs that say "sacred ground... please stay on the paths and don't climb on the rocks" may as well have said.. "bunnies have pink noses"

People are so rude. Do you have any idea how hard it is to take a picture with out a sea of people jamming in or walking in front of you? People letting their little yard apes run rampant over everything and anything... even the elderly people crossing the barriers to get a close up shot of a butterfly (or something) when there are a billion of them fluttering around.

One guy walked out into the middle of the bush with back packs and tripod to take pics with enough equipment to film fargo.. only to get in an argument with the ranger who told him to get out of there. Some kids were digging up rocks and plants right in front of their parents and again.. not supposed to do that.

Then we get to the litter... There are smoking cans EVERYWHERE so one does not have to throw their butts on the ground... sadly, only the smokers have difficulty finding them. Lids to disposable water bottles are abundant and lets not get started to the lack of recycling that tourists are famous for.

If you want to travel to a place of beauty... make sure you don't look down. That's were the real impact takes place.

On to the Rock's energy. I was looking forward to just sitting alone and doing some meditation. So far I've managed to get about 5 minutes total where I'm not swamped by people. Loud, mammals who are interested in nothing but their own desires.

But I digress... Back to the energy... It really seems no different than any other place on the planet. Some places have very strong, unique energy, and I was expecting Uluru to be one of them. Far as I can tell, I was wrong... and very disappointed. I'm headed back out tomorrow, hopefully I'll find myself with some more time and space to connect and will feel the magnetic energy. Maybe not... it could be just a rock.

The up shot was I had the hostel room to myself last night. It appears I've gotten at least one more flatmate, possibly two. I knew that was the chance I was taking to get a place at $40/night as apposed to $160/night (with out a bathroom) or over $200/night for a proper hotel room. Hopefully my new flat mate won't make me insane. But I'm not overly hopeful.


I guess that's the rant for tonight. I'll try to get back on ning now. Hopefully it's back on line

Uluru, Northern Territory, Australia

No comments: