Monday, May 10, 2010

Adelaide

So I'm in Adelaide, and I really don't feel like blogging. I've managed to keep on top of it thus far, and am nothing if not driven. So here goes.

I miss my dog.

Adelaide is a very cool city. It's got a very small town feel with the comforts of a city. It has the largest in door shops in the southern hemisphere. It has Australia's only giant pandas. I've been walking to the city centre quite often which is about a 8 km (probably more, I haven't figured it out yet) round trip. I went to see Iron Man 2 yesterday... meh, was alright.

I miss my horses

I went swimming with wild dolphins on Saturday morning and in the afternoon went to the indoor gun range and cracked off 120 rounds. Fired a .9mm, .45mm, .357mag, .44mag, and as the arms instructor called it "big daddy" the 50cal Desert Eagle. I thought about having a go at the 12 gage rifle, but it was another 25 bucks for 10 rounds and I wasn't sure I wanted to put my shoulder through that type of punishment and then do pushups. For those wondering I'm a good shot, if a little rusty, and the Desert Eagle and I will be seeing more of each other when I get home. Me likey!

I miss my truck

Back in Sydney I scuba dived with nurse sharks... very cool. Was going to plan a dive with Great White Sharks, but would have had to fly out to another part of the coast, spend the $500 bucks for the dive and then wait 24 hours before flying back... so that's 2 flights, three nights stay, and a nice big chunk of change for the white's. Not that they weren't worth it, but perhaps another time when the hours are working with me. For those wondering about the time delay, you can't fly with in at least 24 hours of scuba diving because nitrogen can't escape from your body while under and if you fly you get altitude sickness... that can be fatal. Sifu Hayes knows more about it than I do, so if I've given not 100% accurate definition he can straighten it out.

I miss my family

I've been to the major Zoos on the east coast (minus Melbourne, haven't been to that city at all). I got to see a duckbilled platypus at the Taronga Zoo in Sydney. Worthy highlight. They are truly amazing. I've held a Koala and taken pictures of everything and anything. I rented a scooter today and drove out of the city into the hills and had a look at wine country. Very pretty, but the "mountains" are no Rockies.

I miss my friends

Been staying in touch with everyone as much as I can. I'm off again tomorrow, another flight. I'm getting tired of airports, but them's the breaks. I had a hotel in Sydney for a few days and I unpacked... you have no idea how excited I was about that. Anyone who's backpacked knows that as much fun as it can be, it is very tiring living out of a duffel on your back like a turtle. Maybe I'm just getting old and should have done this years ago when sleeping in a room the size of a postage stamp with 3 other people who like to be up all night wouldn't have made me insane. Funny, us grumpy old farts like to sleep... go figure?

But that's it. I'm going to have some supper and hit the sack. Got an early flight in the morning and we know how much I like getting up early. Who's idea was mornings anyway? They need a slap!

Lisa Freitag
Silent River Kung Fu, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia.

No comments: