Monday, May 31, 2010

I Come From a Land Down Under


"Travelling in a fried-out Combie. On a hippie trail, head full of zombie. I met a strange lady, she made me nervous. She took me in and gave me breakfast. And she said 'Do you come from a land down under? Where women glow and men plunder? Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? You better run, you getter take cover.' "

I am back in Stony Plain for a couple of days. Staying at the farm, hanging with my parents. Seen my brothers and one of my sisters. It's been interesting the last couple days. Was up for 40 hours straight while traveling back from Brisbane. Time change is really messing with my system, but the fun continues. I'm headed for Germany in 2 more sleeps. I really am starting to hate airports.

"Buying bread from a man in Burssels. He was 6'4" and full of muscle. I said 'Do you speak-a my language?' He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich. And he said 'I come from a land down under. Where beer does flow and men chunder. Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover.' "

Things I learned in the outback...

Vegemite smells worse than it looks, but if you can get past that and the texture, it actually doesn't taste all that bad. It's full of vitamin B, and goes quite well on toast.

I can not be left unattended on beaches unless I have a goal, be it surfing, tanning or swimming. Just walking on the beach presents shiny objects know as sea shells that I for some reason am unable to walk past. I like to pick them up and look at them. The problem is I tend not to put them back down. Very shiny.

How to properly deal with a snake bite. Most snakes fangs are not long enough to reach the blood stream and venom is injected just under the skin, traveling through the endocrine system as apposed to the circulatory system. A tensor bandage, they type of snake involved, and medical attention are a must.

There are bull sharks in most of the rivers, and further north there are also Crocks... use caution when swimming. So long as you are smart, things are fine. If you are dumber than a hamster, then you run into problems.

"Dying in a den in Bombay. With slack jaw, and not much to say. I said to the man 'are you trying to tempt me, Because I come from the land of plenty?' And he said 'Oh you come from a land down under? Where women glow and men plunder? Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover.' "

I spent some QT with my horses and dog today. I really missed them. My dog went spastic when I got home, and decided that my lap was the place to be. Your legs tend to go numb with 40lbs of dead weight piled onto them. She's such a weirdo. My horses tried to crush me between them. One requires the ability to scratch 3 horses at the same time, or good dodging skills. Both are handy when taking extended leaves of absence from the farm.

But that's pretty much it. I'm still on Australia time and my brain isn't working. I should probably eat something. It's after 15:00 and I haven't had anything yet. Meh, she'll be right.

Lisa Freitag
Silent River Kung Fu, Stony Plain, Alberta, Canada (until tomorrow that is).

1 comment:

Claire Finnamore said...

Sorry, I won't get a chance to see you before you leave. But I've really enjoyed your posts. Jill got back from Germany a week later than scheduled due to that volcanoe in Iceland. So watch out for that when you go. I learned through her, that Frietag means Friday. Did you know that? And Marmite is much better than that veggi whaterver it is.