Saturday, May 15, 2010

Tasmania

K so here's a blog post from Tasmania... TADA!

I got in to Launceston yesterday and headed for the coast. Made it to St. Helen on the South end of the Bay of Fire last night before I decided it was time to crash. Slept in a camp ground in my car (froze my noody while I was at it, had to wake up every 3ish hours to start the car and warm it up inside). Got up bright and early (ugh) and went for a 3 hour hike up the coast. Got some good picks and drove along the ocean for a couple hours. So worth it.

On the way back, took a different inland route to Launceston and found a great lil pub/diner. It was called The Pub in the Paddock.... and it literally was in the middle of a cattle field (and they had a pet pig as a mascot). It was just too good not to stop. Had a piece of warm chocolate cake with seriously awesome ice cream and a drink. It was a true Outback experience. The people were fantastic and the dining room had an old brick fireplace with waves of heat coming out of it from the fire. The wooden tables were shined with in an inch of existence as were the hardwood floors. It was just magic, and I loved it. Now if I could only get it into my suitcase and bring it home.

So I'm back in Launceston tonight, and am headed for the Zoo tomorrow. They have Devil feedings through out the day, and photo ops. Yah, I so gota get in on that. Petting a Tasmanian Devil? Talk about once in a life time. If only I can resist the urge to go pblablllubladplulllblah pllllllllllh while holding the lil critter. Pretty sure I'll get bitten if I don't, but it would be a true Bugs Bunny moment.

K, gota find a place to sleep for tonight... maybe a hostel, as they cost about the same as a camp ground, and I've less chance of waking up with ice on my nose.

Lisa Freitag
Silent River Kung Fu, Launceston, Tasmania, Australia.

PS for those who didn't know, Tasmania is a province of Australia not a separate country. Aussie's say it's the Newfoundland of Australia, and they are right... totally Newfie!

No comments: